A deliciously healthy and budget conscious recipe. Easy to make from staple foods kept in the pantry and with the addtion of a few home grown herbs it is highly typical of a healthy Mediterranean style diet.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stick celery diced
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- Fresh herbs such as 1-2 bay leaves, oregano & basil
- 440 g tin lentils, drained & rinsed
- 440 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 mL chicken or vegetable stock
- pepper to taste.
- Saute the onion, carrot, celery & garlic in olive oil until soft. Add the herbs.
- Add tomato paste. Then tomatoes lentils and stock.
- Gently simmer for at least 30 mins to allow sauce to thicken and flavours to develop.
- Serve with cooked pasta and grated parmesan cheese. Yum!