Its a grey and overcast day in Brisbane, definitely good weather for soup. This morning I chopped up a pile of vegetables including onion, carrot, leek, celery, broccoli, swede and parsnip. I placed these in my slow cooker along with a lamb shank, a good handful of soup mix (barley & split peas) and fresh herbs such as rosemary, bay leaf, thyme and sage. Lamb & Barley Soup is on the menu for dinner tonight.
5 Things I love about soup:
- Soup is a good way to use up those left over vegetables lying in the vegetable crisper.
- Soup is a simple, well balanced meal to prepare in just one pot. It contains meat and legumes, vegetables and slow acting carbohydrates.
- There are many varieties of soup, so it is never boring.
- All the fibre in soup is fantastic for our digestion. This fibre is also helpful at lowering blood glucose and cholesterol levels as well as managing appetite.
- Soup is economical and budget friendly.