Are you one of the 95% of Australian's who do not eat enough fruit and vegetables?
October 11- 17 is Australia's National Nutrition Week and the theme this year focuses on encouraging Australians to eat more fruits and vegetables. Challenge yourself and your family to eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 pieces of fruit each day for the week. One serve of vegetables represents: 1/2 cup of cooked vegetables, for example carrots or broccoli; or 1 cup of salad vegetables. One serve of fruit is about 1 handful, for example 1 medium apple or 1 cup of chopped fruit such as melon or fruit salad.
Fruit & vegetables are nutritional powerhouses with many health benefits:
- Fibre to keep your gut healthy
- Low in energy (kilojoules) means they help you maintain a healthy body weight
- They are loaded with antioxidants which keep your cells healthy & prevent ageing
- Protection from diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke
- Lots of nutrients including Vitamin C, folate, magnesium,Vitamin A, potassium
Start by adding a large spring salad to tonight's dinner. Follow up with a platter of freshly chopped seasonal fruit.